We parked and walked along the river to get to the Visitor's Center.
No pictures were allowed in any of the homes, but here is the front of Tryon Palace....
(just after stepping through the gates)
(the kitchens are to your left and the stables to your right)
(just after stepping through the gates)
(the kitchens are to your left and the stables to your right)
No pictures were allowed inside--but it was a great tour. We had about 10 people in our group and a costumed docent took us through the entire palace telling us about each room and life in the 1700's. It was so much fun! The gardens outside were amazing! I took a lot of pictures, but I'll just share a few of my favorites....
We toured three other historic homes--one from the 1770's, one from the early 1800's and one from the 1850's. Again, no pictures were allowed...
From Tryon Palace, we headed down the street to "downtown" New Bern. We went to the birthplace of Pepsi and had the best Pepsi I have ever had.
After our Pepsi, we headed back to the visitor's center to go to more of their exhibits. They were wonderful. At the end we took some fun pictures...
(Donald liked this one because he thinks he looks like Ben Franklin!)
We then meandered through the town before heading back to Raleigh. It was a great day trip!Next Adventure: Mount Vernon!!
Anyone want to come with us???
3 comments:
I'm sure we'd love to come. I remember seeing Tryon Palace and I think Kevin and I saw it as newlyweds. Nothing like a little life experience to know that I have seen many things in life I haven't fully appreciated. It sounds like a fun trip and I LOVED the cute pictures of you two.
Gee, if I had known you wanted to go to Tryon I would have dragged you along with the fifth graders when one of yours was in fifth grade. We always parked the buses and ate at the park. Tried to keep those crazy kids from jumping in the river! I hardly knew much the docents said trying to keep hands where they belonged!! Then they raided the gift shops! It was a really fun day back when!
Gee, I certainly wish I had known you had this wish to go to Tryon. Would have tried to drag you off with those fifth graders when one of your kids was in fifth grade. It was such fun. We parked the buses and had lunch at the park and tried to keep the kids from jumping in the river. Didn't hear much the docents said while trying to keep hands where they belonged. Then they raided the gift shop! See what you missed!
Post a Comment